|ELP (English Language Program)|
Full-time Instructional Program
| || || |
SWCID is designed to provide full-time instruction in English as a Second Language to qualified Deaf and Hard of Hearing American and International students. With the comprehensive and intensive curriculum aimed at developing students abilities in and knowledge of English, Deaf Culture, American Culture and American Sign Language, they will gain the level of proficiency necessary for undergraduate and graduate level studies in the United States or enhance their employment possibilities. Continuing Education (CEU)
The primary objective of the ELP is to assist students who want to improve their English Language skills to the level whereby they can function in a rigorous academic environment. The ELP will provide instruction with the highest quality faculty.
Our priorities include:
- To provide the highest quality instruction
- Enable students to enroll in academic programs within the shortest possible time
- Instill confidence necessary for effective use of English in both academic and social settings.
The college employs professionally trained instructors and continually reviews and updates our curriculum to be congruent with the most effective methods in providing Deaf and Hard of Hearing students ESL instruction to ensure that they benefit exponentially.
The ELP strictly limits class size in order to maximize the impact of instruction and supervision of students. Class placements are determined based on an assessment of English language proficiency at the time of admission.
(Please refer to pages 19-20 of the Howard College Catalog for more information). Applicants must have completed secondary school and be 18 years of age or older. An application must be completed and the following documentation provided:
- Copy of official high school and college transcripts, GED or equivalent
- Non-refundable $100.00 application fee in U.S. currency
- Copy of most recent audiogram
- Two letters of character reference from a teacher and any other person except a relative
- Certificate of funds form and proof of funds in the form of a bank statement or letter, of scholars from their sponsoring agent.