Why NSO?The New Student Orientation Program (NSO) is an opportunity for new students to become acquainted with the SWCID, Howard College and the Big Spring Community. Students will have a chance to participate in activities which may lead to a more successful adjustment to life in a secondary educational setting.
New Student Orientation (NSO) is a required program for all students enrolling the first time. This includes new students, transfer students, and international students. If transfer students currently have 9 credits or more of college level classes with 2.00 GPA or higher from previous college, they are exempt from NSO. The Director of Admissions will inform all those who are exempt.
Program DescriptionStudents will participate in four basic activities:
- Orientation: Students will be provided with basic information about the program requirements, grading system, schedules, extracurricular activities, student responsibilities, and other information.
- Placement Testing: Students will take the TSI / Accuplacer to determine placement for English and Math courses.
- Academic Advising: Students will meet with their assigned academic advisors to review results of placement tests and to determine the students degree plan.
RequirementsThe student must meet the following requirements.
- Be accepted for admission to SWCID. Conditional acceptance into the program may apply.
- Attend the entire NSO program, TBA.
- Reside in the residence hall throughout the entire program.
New students who do not attend NSO will generally not be permitted to register for the Fall semester due to placement testing. (Exceptions to this rule will be considered)
For more information regarding New Student Orientation (NSO) please contact:
- John Green
Director of Outreach
(432) 218-4046 (VP/VRS)
Questions about General Admissions or Registration, Tuition and Fees?
- Enrollment Services
(432) 218-4045 (VP/VRS)
(432) 218-4182 (VP/VRS)
DRS / VR / Payment Plan
Please make sure that all DRS/VR authorizations and purchase orders for the previous semester are on file with he Business Office or Admissions office at SWCID prior to registration.