The eLearning program at Howard College is defined as the formal educational process that occurs when instructors and students are not in the same physical location for the majority (more than 50 percent) of instruction. Successful eLearning students often demonstrate an extra measure of dedication and perseverance. These students typically learn to learn independently, utilizing available tools within various learning environments, such as Howard College’s Blackboard Learning system.
Let's “Get Ready!” for eLearning at HC. Find out how.
- Characteristics commonly found in the eLearning Student.
- Behaviors to develop skills for eLearning Success.
- SmarterMeasure assessment to determine readiness level of potential online students. Click here for SmarterMeasure printable login help.
- eLearning Orientation provides useful tutorials and tools designed for student success in HC’s online learning system. Username: hcguest Password: hcguest
Technology Needs and Support:
- Dependable access to a computer with up-to-date technology.
- Reliable Internet connections & supported browser configurations.
- Basic computer and software skills. Free online tutorials: GCFLearnFree.org
- Student Tech-Support for guidance in getting ready and support throughout your college career:
Available in-house 8:00 AM through 10:00 PM
|Total Memory||1 Gb or better||512 Mb|
|Processor (CPU)||2 Ghz or better||1.5 Ghz|
|Available Disk Space||1.5 Gb or better||500 Mb|
|Video||1024x768 True Color||800x600 High Color|
|Operating System||Windows 7||Windows Vista|
|Java Runtime Environment||Version 6 or better||Version 1.4|
This software may or may not be required. Check course syllabus for details.
|Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Flash Player
Why using the correct browser is important when using Blackboard
Some students have experienced technical issues if they are not using the recommended browsers and required browser plugins. It may appear to work or it may work sporadically so for best results use the one of the recommended browsers.
- Most recent versions of Mozilla Firefox are supported
- Most recent versions of Google Chrome are supported
- Most recent versions of Safari are supported
- Internet Explorer versions 8 through 10 are supported
Choose eLearning Course Environments to Meet Your Strengths and Needs:
- Fully Online: A course which may have mandatory face-to-face sessions totaling no more than 15 percent of the instructional time. Examples of face-to-face sessions may include orientation, laboratory, exam review, or an in-person test.
- Hybrid/Blended: A course in which a majority (more than 50 percent but less than 85 percent), of the planned instruction occurs when the students and instructor(s) are not in the same place.
- Enhanced Face-to-face: A course in which a majority (more than 50 percent), of the planned instruction occurs when the students and instructor(s) are in the same place during a regularly scheduled day/time throughout the semester.
- Interactive Television (ITV): A course in which the delivery is via videoconferencing equipment which includes televisions, cameras and microphones. The instructor(s) and students may not be in the same location during a live, regularly scheduled day and time.