Meningitis Immunization Requirements
A new Texas law requires new or returning former students to be immunized for meningitis. This law applies to students entering college as of January 1, 2012. ... Full Story...
The 82nd Texas Legislature approved Senate Bill 1107, which requires all students entering a public, private, or independent institution of higher education in Texas as of January 2012 and thereafter to provide documentation that they have had a meningococcal(bacterial meningitis) vaccine or “booster” dose- within the last five years and at least 10 days prior to the first day of class
The meningitis vaccination requirement applies to:
- All first time students at Howard College/SWCID
- All students who are transferring from any institution of higher education to Howard College/SWCID
- All students who previously attended Howard College/SWCID, and who are enrolling following a break in enrollment of at least one fall or spring semester. (Students, who complete a spring semester at HC/SWCID, are not enrolled for the summer at HC/SWCID, and who returns in the fall are considered “continuing students” and are not included in this requirement.)
Students who fail to submit required meningitis vaccination documents will be restricted from registering for classes.
Meningitis Immunization Forms
Students EXEMPT from this requirement:
Acceptable documentation to prove that you have met the meningococcal vaccine requirement
- You will be age 30 or older on the first day of classes of the semester in which you are enrolling at HC/SWCID
- Currently enrolled Howard College/SWCID Students or students that enroll in the 2011 HC/SWCID December Mini
- You will be enrolled only in online or distance education courses. (A completed, signed and dated copy of HC/SWCID’s Bacterial Meningitis Exemption Form is required to request this exemption.)
- Students who present an affidavit signed by a licensed physician stating that the vaccination would be injurious to the health or well-being of the student.
- Students who decline the vaccine due to reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. Before you will be allowed to register for classes. Howard College / SWCID must receive a completed, notarized "Exemption from Immunization for Bacterial Meningitis for Reason of Conscience" Affidavit. Visit the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board webpage at http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/2554.PDF?CFID=20379104&CFTOKEN=47730119 to print the affidavit.
- Students enrolled in a dual credit course which is taught at a public or private K-12 facility not located on a higher education institution campus.
- Continuing Education students attending courses or programs that are less than 360 contact hours.
- Students incarcerated in a Texas prison.
- The signature or stamp of a physician or his/her designee or public health personnel on a form that shows the month, day and year of your most recent meningococcal vaccination or booster dose;
- an official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority that includes the same information as above; or
- an official record received from school officials, including a record from another state, which includes the same information as above.
Contact the Admissions Office for more information
Big Spring & Lamesa Campuses
San Angelo Campus
- Rebecca Villanueva
Enrollment Services Director
(432) 264-5604 (Fax)
- Ofilia Gomez
(325) 481-8300, ext. 3327
(325) 481-8361 (Fax)
Please continue to monitor our website for updated information about this new law.
- Candace Anderson
(432) 218-4045 (VP / V)
(432) 264-3729 (Fax)
Copyright © 2013 Howard College. All rights reserved. Site Map. Employee Resources/Forms. Tax Statement
1-866-HC-HAWKS • 1-432-264-5000 • 1001 Birdwell Lane • Big Spring, Texas 79720
Summer Hours: Monday to Thursday 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Closed Friday
|The Howard County Junior College District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or any other legally protected status in educational programs, activities, admission, or employment practices. The following position has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 1001 Birdwell Lane, Big Spring, TX 79720.