Surgical Technology Program
Program Admission Requirements
All admission requirements including the science prerequisite classes must be completed by June 1. Remaining prerequisite classes must be completed by the Summer I semester.
- Attend a Howard College Health Professions Orientation. A schedule may be obtained by contacting the HCSA Health Professions Division at (325) 481-8371, ext. 3435. Orientations will also be posted on the HCSA homepage.
- Passing test scores from an approved college assessment exam are required to gain entrance into academic courses. If needed, HC administers the TSI exam. The Testing Schedule is posted on the campus website or may be obtained by contacting the Testing Center on each campus.
- Complete the required prerequisite courses with a final grade of "C" or above.
- Take the Manual Dexterity Test. An appointment must be made with the Testing Center at 325-481-8300, ext. 3405.
- Provide proof of required immunizations.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Submit Health Professions Application for the desired program to the HCSA Health Professions Division along with an official transcript indicating high school graduation or proof of GED and an official transcript from each college/university attended including Howard College.
Surgical Technology Prerequisites
Prior to actual admission to the Surgical Technology Program, applicant must successfully complete the required support courses with a final grade of "C" or above. Science prerequisite courses must be completed by the application deadline June 1. Remaining prerequisite classes must be completed by the end of the Summer I semester.
- BIOL 2101 / 2301 - Anatomy & Physiology I (Lecture & Lab)
- BIOL 2102 / 2302 - Anatomy & Physiology II (Lecture & Lab)
- BIOL 2120 / 2320 - Microbiology (Lecture & Lab)
- HPRS 1206 - Essentials of Medical Terminology (complete by Summer I)
For a complete course curriculum, please consult the Academic Catalog (Degree Plan).
Contact the Department
For more information on the Surgical Technology program, please contact the Program Director.
Program DirectorCarah Dunagan
Program Director - Surgical TechnologySt. John's - Office HC-1023(325) 481-8371 ext. 3432