Tuition and Fees
The following tuition rates will be charged each semester. These rates apply to courses taken for credit and for audit. TUITION AND ALL FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF NECESSARY TO COMPLY WITH NEW STATE LAWS AND BOARD POLICY.
In-District (Howard County Residents):
- $57 per semester hour with a minimum base amount of $150. Qualified Texas Deaf residents shall be exempt from tuition fees beginning with the fall semester of 1995 as documented.
Out-of-District (Texas Residents):
- $89 per semester hour with a base amount of $180. In order to establish in-district residency, a student must have been a resident of Texas for twelve consecutive months immediately prior to enrollment, including six months as a resident in Howard County. Moving into the Howard County Junior College District for the specific purpose of enrolling in Howard College or SWCID does not establish legal residence in the district.
Non-Resident (Out of State and International):
- Howard College - $138 per semester hour with a base amount of $200
- SWCID - $401 per semester hour, no base, based on State law 131.005
None-State Funded Course Fee
- A charge of $70 per credit hour will be added to the tuition charged for courses that do not qualify for state funding, including but not limited to the following conditions:
- A student's third attempt or more at the same course
- A student taking a developmental course who exceeded 27 semester credit hours of developmental course work.
- Any other circumstances for which state funding is not received.
Building Charge (All Students):
Student Services Fee (All Students):
- $3 per semester hour beginning at 6 hours, up to and including 12 hours.
If space is available at the close of regular registration, students age 65 and older may enroll for up to six hours of courses each semester and/or summer term without payment of tuition. All fees will be charged. If space is available at the close of regular registration, students age 65 and older may audit any course(s) at no charge. This exemption will only be honored upon request in person. Registration must be completed on site each registration period. This exemption does not apply to programs with limited enrollment and/or competitive selection.Cost Reduction
For a complete listing of other fees (Lab/course fees), please consult the Tuition and Fees section of the current Howard College / SWCID Catalog and Student Handbook.
- Certain fees or other costs may be reduced or waived by the college President or designee for students who are enrolled in classes taken in facilities provided for the purpose of instruction when these locations are located in the college’s service area or have been approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Certain costs are reduced for concurrently enrolled high school students and for inmates at correctional facilities enrolled in academic courses. The base tuition for high school students enrolled in academic transfer courses is $50 for in-‐district, $100 for out-‐of-‐district, and $140 for non-‐resident students. Hourly tuition is $38 for in-‐district, $50 for out-‐of-‐district and $72 for non-‐resident. Fees are waived.
- The tuition rate for high school students concurrently enrolled in Workforce Education courses is $0. Students may be responsible for certain course or program costs such as insurance, licensure requirements, testing, certification, equipment, etc.
- Commencement Photos: Click here to view and order 2013 Commencement Photos.
- Kids College 2013: Howard College presents Kids College 2013 on June 17 - 20. Registration applications are due no later than Monday, June 10, 2013. Click for full information.
- Student IDs: Get students ID cards (my HC card) at the Dean of Students office in the Student Union Building (SUB). Bring a copy of your current schedule, at least one form of identification, and a completed vehicle information form.
- Health Services: Together in partnership, Howard College and Family Medical Center (432-267-5531) are providing HC and SWCID students access to quality healthcare. For those students who do not have health insurance, a $30 physician fee per visit will be charged (x-ray, laboratory, shots and other ancillary testing fees will be extra). The student will have to pay the physician fee and any applicable fees at the time of the visit. Students who have health insurance will be required to pay the co-pay payment as specified by their respective insurance company.