Student Loans / Process
Loan Process for 2012-2013
It is the student's responsibility to apply for a student loan. Howard College does not apply for you.
Submit a loan request using Direct Loans. The Federal Government will be your lender. Only 1 loan request will be processed per semester.
Follow These Instructions:
- Log on: https://studentloans.gov , click on the green box labeled "SIGN IN"
- Loan Award Information: Before you begin you will need to have the following information:
- Social Security Number.
- First two (2) characters of your last name.
- Date of Birth: (mm/dd/yyyy).
- PIN #.
- Complete Entrance Counseling: Add Howard County Junior College. You will be required to take a quiz.
- If you Received A Direct Loan from Howard College for 2011-2012 - STOP: You do not need to complete a New MPN. Skip to #8.
- New Students: Complete Master Promissory Note: click on Subsidized/Unsubsidized or Plus Loan for Parent Borrowers - Be sure to Add Howard College.
- Complete 4 Steps:
- Personal Information
- Personal References
- Terms and Conditions (read all 4 parts)
- Review and Sign
- Congratulations! You have complete the MPN Process - One More Step
- Important: You must complete your loan request by submitting a Loan Award Acceptance Form to the Financial Aid office. The form is available (by clicking above) on the Howard College website, or from the Financial Aid Office.
Important: Only one loan request will be processed per semester.
A promissory note is a legally binding contract between the borrower of a Direct Loan, and the lender - the U.S. Department of Education. It contains the terms and conditions of the loan and explains how and when it should be repaid. Before you receive your loan funds, you must sign a promissory note electronically using your PIN#.
|For Help Contact:|
Direct Loan Borrowers Or go to https://studentloans.gov
Phone: 1 (800) 848-0979 or (315) 738-6634
Fax: 1 (800) 848-0984
TDD: 1 (800) 848-0983
Loan Release Information
- Loan funds will be applied to the students account on 08/20/2012, any remaining loan funds will be applied to ONE CARD on 08/31/2012, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Fall semester 30 day delay loan funds will be applied to students account 9/26/2012, any remaining loan funds will be applied to ONE CARD on 10/05/2012, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Cosmetology initial remaining loan funds will be mailed after 150 clock hours are completed. Thereafter, loan funds will be disbursed after the completion of 500 clock hours and 1,000 clock hours.
- Loan funds will be applied to the student's account on 1/04/2013, any remaining loan funds will be applied to the ONE CARD on 1/17/2013, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Spring semester 30 day delay loan funds will be applied to students account 2/13/2013, any remaining loan funds will be applied to ONE CARD on 02/22/13, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Cosmetology initial remaining loan funds will be mailed after 150 clock hours, 500 clock hours and 1000 clock hours have been completed.
- These are the dates that Howard College will release loan funds to students. The disbursement date on your lender disclosure statement may be different to allow for processing of loan funds by the school.
If you are reported for non attendance in a class, you will have 5 days to get proof of
attendance from your instructor or your loan will be canceled.
Reminder....if a student withdraws or drops below half time, all other disbursements are canceled and they must complete exit counseling at www.nslds.ed.gov.
Dates are subject to change in accordance with registration dates.
Only one loan request will be processed per semester.
- Commencement Photos: Click here to view and order 2013 Commencement Photos.
- Kids College 2013: Howard College presents Kids College 2013 on June 17 - 20. Registration applications are due no later than Monday, June 10, 2013. Click for full information.
- Student IDs: Get students ID cards (my HC card) at the Dean of Students office in the Student Union Building (SUB). Bring a copy of your current schedule, at least one form of identification, and a completed vehicle information form.
- Health Services: Together in partnership, Howard College and Family Medical Center (432-267-5531) are providing HC and SWCID students access to quality healthcare. For those students who do not have health insurance, a $30 physician fee per visit will be charged (x-ray, laboratory, shots and other ancillary testing fees will be extra). The student will have to pay the physician fee and any applicable fees at the time of the visit. Students who have health insurance will be required to pay the co-pay payment as specified by their respective insurance company.