Howard College - Big Spring, Lamesa, San Angelo, SWCID

Terms and Conditions

  • Hits: 45649

Terms and Conditions


The application to my student account and/or use of financial aid funds certifies that I agree and understand the conditions outlined below.  I fully understand that if I do not adhere to the conditions of aid it can result in the withdrawal and/or possible repayment of aid awarded.

  1. I understand that my financial aid awards are based on my full time enrollment (12 credit hours simultaneously) for each full semester of the academic year.  I also understand that enrolling in flex or mini courses may affect my full time status.
  2. I understand that I cannot receive aid simultaneously from two separate institutions for the same enrollment period.
  3. I understand that I must attend all of the classes for which I am receiving aid or I may be required to refund my aid.
  4. I understand that I must notify the Financial Aid Office of additional aid I am receiving that is not included on my award letter; and that my other aid may change (be reduced) based on the new/additional awards.
  5. I must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in a course of study leading toward a degree or certificate at Howard College/SWCID as detailed in the Howard College/SWCID catalog.  I understand that if I take courses outside my degree plan, it may have an effect on my eligible for aid.  Further, it is my responsibility to contact my academic advisor regarding my degree plan.
  6. I understand that under federal law, students attending Howard College/SWCID who receive Title IV aid (Pell, SEOG, ACG, and/or Federal Stafford loans) and completely withdraw before the 60 percent point (in time) in the period of enrollment/payment period will be required to return any unearned funds.   If a student ceases attendance and does not officially withdraw, he/she will be considered “unofficially withdrawn” and subject to the return of Title IV funds.  A student receiving all F’s and W’s for a semester may also be subject to the return of Title IV funds.  Attendance records will be reviewed to determine if and when the student ceased attendance.  In some instances, the student may owe both the federal government and the school.  I must refund that portion of aid for which I am no longer eligible.  Students owing either the government or the school will be ineligible for any further federal aid until funds are repaid.
  7. I must inform the Office of Student Financial Aid of any changes in resources, marital status, reduction of hours enrolled, and any other changes that may affect my eligibility for aid.  Additionally, I will keep all personal information updated through the Registrar’s Office, i.e. mailing address, phone number, etc.
  8. I must respond in a timely manner to inquiries made by the Financial Aid Office in order to keep my application current and in good standing.
  9. I have not been convicted of any felony or crime; nor have I been convicted of any felony or crime involving a controlled substance.

Award Program Conditions

The following conditions apply if I have been awarded aid from one or a combination of the programs mentioned below.  Select a program for more information.

V Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant will be determined based upon a student’s full time enrollment (12 semester hours) for a full academic year.  If you do not plan to enroll full time, your award WILL be reduced.

V Federal ACG (Academic Competitiveness Grant)

An eligible student may receive an Academic Competitiveness Grant (AC Grant) of up to $750 for the first academic year of study and up to $1,300 for the second academic year of study. To be eligible for each academic year, a student must: be a U.S. citizen; be a Federal Pell Grant recipient; be enrolled full-time in a degree program; be enrolled in the first or second academic year of his or her program of study at a two-year or four-year degree-granting institution; have completed a rigorous secondary school program of study (after January 1, 2006, if a first-year student, and after January 1, 2005, if a second-year student); if a first-year student, not have been previously enrolled in an undergraduate program; and if a second-year student must have completed 30 semester hours and must  have at least a cumulative 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale for the first academic year.

V Federal SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) funds are limited federal grant funds awarded to students with exceptional need.

V College Work Study - Federal & State Work Program

If awarded Federal or State Work Study, the amount awarded is an estimate of earnings and means that you are eligible to be employed under the FCWS at Howard College/SWCID. These funds will NOT be disbursed unless you obtain employment; you should report to the Office of Financial Aid during the first week of classes for job placement opportunities. If your aid preference included work, and you were not awarded work study, you must contact your financial aid representative and schedule an appointment.

V Estimated Stafford Loan Eligibility - Federal Family Educational Loan Program (FFELP)

These amounts indicate the amount you are eligible to borrow through the Stafford Loan Program.  There are two types of Federal Stafford Loans that you may be eligible for - subsidized and unsubsidized. The subsidized Federal Stafford Loan is need-based.  If you qualify, the government pays the lender the interest due on the loan while you are in school and during your grace and deferment periods. The unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is for students who don't qualify for a subsidized Federal Stafford Loan or who qualify for less than the annual maximum amount.  You are responsible for all interest that accrues on an unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan. Both types of loans have a variable interest rate. You are neither required nor encouraged to borrow these funds.  However, if you do feel you will need additional money to pay expenses while in school, refer to the loan request and lender information form for additional information.

V Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program (LEAP) / Special Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (SLEAP) - State Grant

The purpose of these two programs is to provide grant assistance to financially needy students.  To be eligible a student must be a Texas resident; attend a public or private university; are undergraduate students; show financial need based on federal methodology; are not in default on a federal loan and do not owe a refund on a federal or state grant; are a United States citizen; have not borrowed in excess of federal student aid limits; and register for the Selective Service, unless exempt.

V Toward EXcellence, Access, & Success (TEXAS) Grant Program - State Grant

The purpose of the program is to provide a grant of money to enable well prepared eligible students to attend public and private nonprofit institutions of higher education in Texas. To be eligible a student must be a Texas resident; graduated from a public or accredited private high school in Texas no earlier than Fall 1998; completed the Distinguished or Recommended high school curriculum; has financial need; has applied for any available financial aid or assistance; enrolls for hours determined by state regulations in an undergraduate degree or certificate program; and has not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance. A student receiving the Texas Grant must maintain satisfactory academic progress as required by the state of Texas; a minimum 2.5 grade point average is required. *Note: must enter program within 16 months of graduation from high school.

V Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG) Program - State Grant

The purpose of this program is to provide grant aid to financially needy students enrolled in Texas public two-year colleges.  A student must be a Texas resident; show financial need; if applying for a first-time award, have a family contribution of no more than $2,000; register for the Selective Service or are exempt from this requirement; are enrolled at least 1/2 time (6 semester credit hours) in the first 30 hours (or their equivalent) in an associate's degree or certificate program at a public two-year college in Texas; Have not been granted an associate's or a baccalaureate degree; and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance.*Students who continue in college and who meet program academic standards can receive awards for up to 75 semester credit hours, for four years, or until they receive an associate's degree, whichever comes first. The academic requirements for continuing in the program are: At the end of the first year, the student must meet the school's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. At the end of the second year, the student must complete at lease 75 percent of the hours attempted in the prior academic year and have an overall college grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.

V TPEG (Texas Public Education Grant) - State Grant

State grant programs offer limited funds to students who display additional need.

*All awards will be applied to students’ account prior to the first class day.  Additionally, all institutional charges due to Howard College/SWCID will be deducted before remaining aid balances are refunded.

Students with Financial Aid awards that cover their entire tuition and fees and have a credit balance may be able to charge books and supplies in the College Bookstore.  The student must have their student identification card or government issued ID and their schedule to purchase books and supplies at the college bookstore. Students do not have to charge their books at the college bookstore and have an option to not use their remaining aid funds. 

Other Conditions

Students Convicted of Possession or Sale of Drugs

A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for FSA funds. The student self-certifies in applying for aid that he is eligible; you’re not required to confirm this unless you have conflicting information.

Convictions only count against a student for aid eligibility purposes (FAFSA question 23c) if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Federal Student Aid—they do not count if the offense was not during such a period, unless the student was denied federal benefits for drug trafficking by a federal or state judge. Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when she was a juvenile, unless she was tried as an adult.

The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for FSA funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses. (A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.)

Possession of
Illegal Drugs
Sale of
Illegal Drugs
1st Offense
1 year from date of conviction
1st Offense
2 years from date of conviction
2nd Offense
2 years from date of conviction
2nd Offense
Indefinite period
3+ Offenses
Indefinite period

If the student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs, and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period. Schools must provide each student who becomes ineligible for FSA funds due to a drug conviction a clear and conspicuous written notice of his loss of eligibility and the methods whereby he can become eligible again.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program or passes two unannounced drug tests given by such a program. Further drug convictions will make him ineligible again.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it after successfully completing a rehabilitation program (as described below), passing two unannounced drug tests from such a program, or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to you that she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program; as with the conviction question on the FAFSA, you are not required to confirm the reported information unless you have conflicting information.

When a student regains eligibility during the award year, you may award Pell grant, TEACH, and Campus-based aid for the current payment period and Direct loans for the period of enrollment.

Standards for a qualified drug rehabilitation program

A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and satisfy at least one of the following requirements:

  • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program.
  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.
  • Be administered or recognized by a federally- or state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

If you are counseling a student who will need to enter such a program, be sure to advise the student of these requirements. If a student certifies that he has successfully completed a drug rehabilitation program, but you have reason to believe that the program does not meet the requirements, you must find out if it does before paying the student any FSA funds.


Student’s Rights & Responsibilities

Student's Rights


  • I have the right to know what student financial aid programs are available at Howard College/SWCID.
  • I have the right to know the deadlines (if any) for submitting applications for each financial aid program.
  • I have the right to know how my financial need was determined, including how various expenses in my budget are considered.
  • I have the right to know what resources are considered in the calculation of my awards.
  • I have the right to request an explanation of the various programs in my financial aid package.
  • I have the right to consult with persons in the Financial Aid Office concerning my application for assistance, budgeting and/or financial problems which might arise.
  • I have the right to cancel any loan proceeds received via individual borrower check.

Student's Responsibilities


  • I will check my Howard College/SWCID email on a regular basis.
  • I must complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time to the appropriate office.
  • I must provide correct information. In most instances, misreporting information on financial aid forms is a violation of federal law and may be a criminal offense, which could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal Code.
  • I must provide any additional documentation, verification information, or corrections requested by the Financial Aid Office or the agency to which I submitted my application before any funds will be disbursed.
  • I am responsible for reading, understanding, and retaining copies of all forms I am asked to sign.
  • I must accept responsibility for all agreements I sign.
  • I am responsible for knowing the sources of financial aid, which I receive and whether the aid is a grant, loan, or scholarship. If the aid is a loan, I must know to whom repayment is to be made and the terms of repayment.
  • I must keep the Financial Aid Office informed of my correct address at all times - while I am in school and after graduation - while any loans are outstanding.
  • It is my responsibility to inform the Financial Aid Office of any change in my student or financial status. This includes, but is not limited to: marriage, divorce, childbirth, employment of myself, spouse, or parents, etc.
  • It is my responsibility to complete an exit interview online at Entrance/Exit Counseling, prior to my separation from Howard College/SWCID either by graduation or withdrawal.
  • I have read and understand this entire document which I will acknowledge by allowing financial aid funds to be applied to my student account and/or by using these financial aid funds.

The Howard County Junior College District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or any other legally protected status in educational programs, activities, admission, or employment practices.  The following position has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 1001 Birdwell Lane, Big Spring, TX 79720 (432) 264-5100.

Hours Office Hours:  Monday to Thursday  8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Friday 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM, Closed Weekends
Howard College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, veteran's status or any other protected class in its programs, activities, admission, or employment practices.  The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:  Director of Human Resources, 1001 Birdwell Lane, Big Spring, TX 79720, 432-264-5100.  For further information on the policy of non-discrimination, visit this link for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area.