Current student borrowers and future student borrowers should visit HigherEDGE for more information in regards to understanding student loans, repaying your loans and handling default issues.
Loan Process for 2016-2017
It is the student's responsibility to apply for a student loan. Howard College does not apply for you. Submit a loan request using Direct Loans. The Federal Government will be your lender. Only 1 loan request will be processed per semester.
Follow These Instructions:
- Log on: https://studentloans.gov , click on the green box labeled "LOG IN"
- Loan Award Information: Before you begin you will need to have the following information:
- Social Security Number.
- First two (2) characters of your last name.
- Date of Birth: (mm/dd/yyyy).
- FSA ID USERNAME and Password. The FSA ID is the same log in as your FAFSA.
- Complete Entrance Counseling: Add Howard County Junior College. You will be required to take a quiz.
- If you Received A Direct Loan from Howard College for 2015-2016 - STOP: You do not need to complete a New MPN. Skip to #8.
- New Students: Complete Master Promissory Note: click on "Subsidized/Unsubsidized or Plus Loan for Parent Borrowers" - Be sure to Add Howard College.
- Complete 4 Steps:
- Personal Information
- Personal References
- Terms and Conditions (read all 4 parts)
- Review and Sign
- Congratulations! You have complete the MPN Process - One More Step
- Important: You must complete your loan request by submitting a Loan Award Acceptance Form to the Financial Aid office. The form is available (by clicking above) on the Howard College website, or from the Financial Aid Office.
Important: Only one loan request will be processed per semester.
A promissory note is a legally binding contract between the borrower of a Direct Loan, and the lender - the U.S. Department of Education. It contains the terms and conditions of the loan and explains how and when it should be repaid. Before you receive your loan funds, you must sign a promissory note electronically using your PIN#.
Repayment of Loans: It is important to make sure you do not miss a payment on your student loans. It is important to contact your loan servicer about different repayment options. Your loan servicer handle all billing regarding your student loans.
For more information about the repayment of student loans,
visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans or http://www.higheredge.net/borrowers/content/repayment/
For Help Contact:Direct Loan Borrowers
Phone: 1 (800) 848-0979 or (315) 738-6634
Fax: 1 (800) 848-0984
TDD: 1 (800) 848-0983
Or go to https://studentloans.gov
Loan Release Information
Loan Release Information
- Loan funds will be applied to the students account on 08/15/2014, any remaining loan funds will be applied to ONE CARD on 08/29/2014, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Fall semester 30 day delay loan funds will be applied to students account 9/23/2014, any remaining loan funds will be applied to ONE CARD on 10/07/2014, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Cosmetology initial remaining loan funds will be mailed after 150 clock hours are completed. Thereafter, loan funds will be disbursed after the completion of 500 clock hours and 1,000 clock hours.
- Loan funds will be applied to the student's account on 01/12/2015, any remaining loan funds will be applied to the ONE CARD on 01/26/2015, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Spring semester 30 day delay loan funds will be applied to students account 02/18/2015, any remaining loan funds will be applied to ONE CARD on 03/03/15, or within 14 days after direct loan approval.
- Cosmetology initial remaining loan funds will be mailed after 150 clock hours, 500 clock hours and 1000 clock hours have been completed.
- These are the dates that Howard College will release loan funds to students. The disbursement date on your lender disclosure statement may be different to allow for processing of loan funds by the school.
If you are reported for non attendance in a class, you will have 5 days to get proof of attendance from your instructor or your loan will be canceled.
Reminder....if a student withdraws or drops below half time, all other disbursements are canceled and they must complete exit counseling at www.nslds.ed.gov. - Exit Counseling
Dates are subject to change in accordance with registration dates.
Only one loan request will be processed per semester.