College in 10 Easy Steps
A Registration Checklist
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE TSI (Texas Success Initiative) COMPLIANT
- If you plan to pursue an Associate of Science (AS), Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT), or any of the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degrees at Howard College you must be THEA Complete. Some Certificate programs require partial compliance.
- Being THEA Complete means your TAKS Scores are:
- 2200+ in English Language Arts (2200 + 3 on writing) or higher
- 2200 in Math or higher
- Take a placement exam such as the THEA, Accuplacer, Asset, or Compass
- Passing Scores are as follows:
THEA (230 Reading, 230 Math, 220 Writing)
ASSET (41 Reading, 38 Math, 40 Writing)
COMPASS (81 Reading, 39 Math 59 Writing)
ACCUPLACER (78 Reading, 80 Math) Writing: (6, 7, or 8 on essay) or (5 on essay and 80 on Sentence Skills)
- If you do not have the minimum TAKS scores required or do not pass any or part of the placement exam, YOU CAN STILL GO TO COLLEGE. You will be required to take College Preparatory classes at Howard College as part of your completion requirements.
For testing information and test dates, contact the STEPS Lab at (432) 264-5637.
For more details, please consult the Howard College Catalog.
- COMPLETE YOUR ADMISSIONS FILE
- Complete and turn in the Application for Admission to the Registrar’s Office
- Make sure all Final transcripts (high school and college) have been sent to the Registrar’s Office
- Make sure any other documentation requested has been turned into the Registrar’s Office
1001 Birdwell Lane
Big Spring, TX 79720
- FINANCIAL AID
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Verify your financial aid with the Financial Aid Office at Howard College (432) 264-5083
- Complete the Howard College Scholarship Application and any other Scholarship Applications.
- HOUSING APPLICATION
Contact the Dean of Students’ Office (432) 264- 5028 at Howard College for a Residence Hall application. Please see the Howard College Catalog for detailed information.
- NSO – NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION
- Plan to attend a New Student Orientation (NSO) in the summer. These are not required but highly recommended. New Student Orientation helps students become familiar with Howard College and what to expect from college life.
- ADVISING AND REGISTRATION
to find out who your academic advisor is. Contact your advisor and make an appointment to be advised and register for classes. You can wait until New Student Orientation to be advised and register for classes.
- PAYING YOUR BILL
- All payments are made through the Business Office
- You can contact the Business Office about payment plans at (432) 264-5035
- Any scholarship or Financial Aid awarded will be applied to your tuition and fees first.
- BUY YOUR BOOKS
- Take a copy of your class schedule to the Howard College Bookstore
- The Bookstore is located in the Student Union Building (432) 264-5050
- ACTIVATE YOUR HOWARD COLLEGE E-MAIL
- Important information is sent to students via the campus email system
- Contact Computer Services for information on how to activate your email (432) 264-5055
- Your Howard College E-mail cannot be activated until the first day of classes.
- IDENTIFY YOURSELF
- Stop by the Dean of Students’ Office to get your student ID (Free)
- Don’t forget to get you parking permit while you are at the Dean of Students’ Office (Free)
- The Dean of Students’ Office is located in the Student Union Building (SUB)